Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Status Report: Diapering Baby B

Wow. So in my last post, I discussed our quandary as to how we will diaper our eight month old son. On Sunday, we visited our friends Kathleen and Jim and Kathleen graciously lent me some of her cloth diapers (and inserts, and covers) to try out.

Holy cow! There are just a ton of options in the cloth diapering universe! In contrast to the ones my parents used (plastic covers, tri-fold diapers, safety pins), the cloth diapers today are amazing. I have hemp inserts, bamboo diapers, wool covers, fleece diaper covers that go inside the "actual" cover. It is almost overwhelming. But, Kathleen was patient and I have a (pretty) good idea as to how to get them on poor Baby B without too much in terms of hysterics.

Unfortunately, Baby B does not seem to agree with our attempt at waste reduction ... last night I tried a cloth diaper around dinner time and he fussed for about two hours. Until I took the cloth diaper off. One thing that I think the disposables have going for them is that they have much less bulk. Baby B is a mobile sort of boy, and the cloth diapers seemed to impede his crawling. I might need to go for less absorbency and more mobility... hopefully that will keep the little monster from screaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment